I Love This (Blogger Bragger Edition)

At lunch today, a co-worker told me that a tip I gave her helped her lower elementary son get past less than stellar handwriting to be able to tell stories. The tip? I came across some online speech-to-text software that would hopefully help him get past his handwriting woes. Well, it turns out that his story was selected for recognition for an award. Mom was rightfully proud of her son's accomplishments.

I had nothing to do with instilling the drive to succeed (my co-worker is very cool mom/teacher), nor with this child's creativity. I am only happy that I could suggest some tools to help get past the skill of writing to the process of story telling.

[Full disclosure: Handwriting is the only subject I ever earned a C in. If I had to blog-by-hand, well, I wouldn't.]

After school, I got a long overdue haircut. While I was there, one of the stylists told me that her daughter loved my class and how she was able to understand the math in my class. Now, I enjoyed teaching this student and I am glad that she enjoyed being in my class, but I am amused at what she observed as my ability to explain the material. First, if she made a mistake, I told her to point it out in the homework--don't fix something minor--and write a quick note about what she did wrong. Second, I told her to help everyone around her. I would help when necessary, but usually I just pointed out that she was on the right track.

When we give students the right push and the proper tools they really will impress us. How do we teach every child to have this desire to learn and the willingness to be comfortable with setbacks?


Comments