Math Type and New Year's Resolutions

Happy New Year everyone! Something that I've been meaning to do, and I've never made the time to do is either blog and or create something in Geogebra. It is important to me to both reflect on my craft as well as share what I've found and or created with others. I've found so many useful things from other teachers, that I want to give back.

My goal this year is a thing a week. A blog post. A Geogebra creation. A nifty Desmos file. Anything. Since I'm posting in February, you can see this isn't going well! Onward and upward.

My first new thing is an old thing in a nifty new package.

As a math and science teacher, early in college I started using Equation Editor that was bundled with Microsoft Word. It created beautiful equations that were in line in my document. If I needed to change the equation, I could select the equations and edit on the fly. Math typesetting is an important part of how to communicate with mathematics and it allowed me to create professional looking documents.

With Office 2010, Equation Editor no longer came bundled with Office and the Office built-in equation editor just didn't look right. Also, I later found that Google Docs can't read these built in equations without first converting it to Docs. This is a big problem as I try to move to paperless.

Enter Codecogs! This link is to an online editor where you can play with the functions, learn the LaTeX code and see what the outcome is all on the same page. But wait, they've created instructions for inserting LaTeX into Blogger ($f(x)=\frac{\cos{x}}{3x}$ see it works!) and they created a Google Docs Add-On

It's true that learning LaTeX can be a little time consuming compared to using a pre-built equation editor. But what I like about the CodeCogs system is that if I make a mistake, I can undo the rendering back to code, change something and convert back. I like that LaTeX is a standard so all of my equations can still be rendered by something else should CodeCogs go away. If you copy an equation out of Desmos, it pastes as LaTeX format. Because of this system and that Google Docs gets a little better every year, it's become pretty easy to live in the cloud for my school files.

Here's an example of some of the equations that I've created with the code along side. I've only saved the more difficult equations, or some of the less often used.
Or the equations showing up in the blog instead:

$\lim_{x\to6}{f(x)}=5$
   \lim_{x \to 6}{f(x)}=5

$f(x)=\begin{cases}\left | x^2-4 \right | & x < 1\\x^2-3 & x\geq1 \end{cases}$  f(x)=\begin{cases}\left | x^2-4 \right | & x < 1\\x^2-3 & x\geq1 \end{cases}

Happy New Year (belated) and I hope to have something new for you next week.

Comments