Digital Storytelling [21 Things]

I must say that I was eager to try digital storytelling after seeing the amazing work that my wife has done with digital storytelling with the end of the year Allegan Tennis movies. I also see the immense amount of time that producing one of these videos takes. I know just in the past week I've spent at least 2 hours a day on the project.

I don't think that I would have spent time on this project if I wasn't part of the 21 Things course, but I have to say that I enjoyed the process.

The first step is the storyboard. I used Google Sheets to storyboard.



I had what I wanted to say on the left and the images needed on the right. I think that in the future, when I use more images than just from my family (and I need to cite sources) that pasting the images with citations into the storyboard and then saving as jpg would be an easy way to get sources at the end of the presentation. An idea from my wife as she gets pictures from the families to put into her videos and she gives credit where credit is due.

So here is the final product.


How would I use this in class?
Students could use this to demonstrate their learning about a project they were working on in my math class. If the entire group was required to participate it feels like a double duty: do the work AND discuss what was happening during the work process. However, one member of the group could be the “archiver” whose role is to tell the story of what went into the project. We as teachers always see the final project, we don’t always see the minor struggles, the frustrations of relying on someone else, and the joys of getting it just right. The archiver would be responsible for telling their group’s story and not actually be responsible for creation of the project itself. Sort of a reporter. Maybe they need to do daily tweets and blog posts reporting on progress while working on the digital story for the final project.

I could also see using it for students creating screen casts. I know there are other tools for screen casting, but for some reason I feel like the process of polishing the final product of a digital story would make their work more meaningful for others.

Make no mistake this is a time intensive project and I'm not at the point where I can bring this into my classroom. But this year I am taking a long look at all the things that go on in my class and where I can make some cuts so that I can bring this type of project into the curriculum. 

When I asked a coworker what I could do do improve, she noted that I needed to work on the timing of the picture transitions as well as some of the audio didn't hook up.


Comments