#TeachingIs

In Honor of #TeacherAppreciationWeek several have suggested that we teachers write what #TeachingIs to us.

I wear many hats in the teaching profession. I am first and foremost a classroom teacher.  I am my local union president. I was a teacher trainer in mathematics and I am a local go-to person for tech support and training. I see so many joys and frustrations with this job because of all of these roles.

Rather than talk about all of these things, which is really more of a book than a blog, I would like to share two stories that get to the heart of what #TeachingIs to me.

Earlier this year I saw a student, who I had previously as a student in my class, running to the bathroom crying. I stopped her to see if she needed to talk to me, to a counselor, to another student, or if she just needed to cry for her own personal reasons. Through her tears, she assured me (she assured me!--that on it's own is amazing) that she just needed a moment. I told her to take her time and to use my name as a pass, if needed. She stopped by after school to thank me for caring about her and that she hadn't really had a teacher make sure she was doing alright before. This same student I would patiently work with until she understood the concepts. This same student who I'd talk about her awesome music choices. These things weren't noted as caring.

My lesson is that #TeachingIs invisible. We all care about our students, but until students are in crisis mode, they may not see it. And as teachers, we always need to be on the look out for students that are having problems.

My son started in Young Fives this year and after a few weeks started exhibiting some sever behavior problems. We had a daily journal that we filled out and returned to his teacher. His teacher would share what has been happening in the class that day and we would share what was happening at home. Together, we got our son on a better behavior track. He's loved school since day one, but he has learn amazing things about appropriate behavior and it's really helped but at home and at school.

I think that #TeachingIs, always has been, and always will be about going the extra mile for our students. We bring food in for those that are hungry. We Skype at 8pm because they can't make it after school for help. We find other ways of presenting material so they are eager to learn. We stay in contact with our students after they graduate. We want the best for all the students all the time.

Comments