Interactive Whiteboard (or Why I'm trying OneNote this year)

If you've never used an interactive whiteboard, you are missing out. Part of me feels like Tony Stark every time I work with the thing.

Good Morning, Jarvis.

You get to interact with a computer in a new way. It isn't always better than keyboard and mouse, but there are a lot of cool things that I do with an interactive screen that just aren't mouse friendly (think about how you interact with a tablet or smartphone compared to your computer for some of the advantages of a touch screen on a computer).

I've been giving digital notes now for four years. With pen input, you can write as you've always done. However with screen capturing and a document camera, you can bring images into your notes and annotate them. Students love sharing their homework from their notebook and if corrections need to be made annotations can be done in front by another student while they correct their work. This work can then be saved for later viewing by teachers (if we want to refer to a previous example) or students.

I've used several whiteboard software packages all with their own advantages. With all of them, I am able to share my notes by exporting the PDF or PowerPoint and then saving to my Google Drive to share with students. I continue to wonder if there is a way to do things better.

Yes I owned this model PalmPilot
This year I am going to try out Microsoft OneNote.

I played around with OneNote again this summer when I found it went cross platform and is free. I have pen tablets, smartboards, and a Samsung Galaxy Note tablet (I've been a fan of pen input for a while) I have a Microsoft account (Thanks, Windows 8!), I can access my notes anywhere! The free (or low cost) options are important for me because tools that we use in school, need to be accessible to students outside of school.

The main things drawing me to OneNote this year are:
Organization
I can set up a notebook for each class and I can switch between notebooks at the click of a button (yea autosave!). In each class, I can have chapter or unit sections, with with as many pages as needed in these sections. Part of the organization is the ability to search a notebook. As a teacher, I can quickly make it back to a specific example or topic by keyword search.
Sharing notes is simplified

Find "Get a Sharing Link" under the file menu for your notebook and that's it! As I make updates, it saves to the cloud, and anyone has access to my notes using the live link almost the instant I am done writing. (check out this example)

I learn as I go. I feel that this is just the tip of the iceberg for what I'll be able to do. Expect an update on OneNote later this year with the how I'm using it in the math classroom.

Comments